Skip to main content
Non-Degree Seeking Programs

Students who already have a bachelor's degree and are interested in taking courses for credit or audit may apply to Brigham Young University–Hawaii (BYUH) through the Event Services & Outreach department as a Non-Degree Seeking (NDS) student.

Students (both new and former) must complete an application to determine eligibility.

Once admitted, students may register for classes (maximum of 6 credit hours each semester) one month prior to the first day of the semester.

NDS students are NOT eligible for: on-campus housing, student jobs (at BYUH, the Polynesian Cultural Center or any other church entities), student medical insurance, university scholarships, Pell Grant or other Federal Government student loan programs.

Eligibility Requirements for SPRING 2021

  • You have at least a bachelors degree
  • You are a resident of the state of Hawaii; 12 consecutive months
  • You are at least 18 years or older
  • You are a U.S Citizen, U.S Resident or non-U.S citizen with current J2 or F2 visa
  • You are not currently suspended (including academic or Honor Code suspension) from any college or university (including BYUH)
  • You are in good standing with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
  • You are not currently on probation, parole, under restriction with any court, and have never been convicted of a crime (other than a traffic violation)

How to Apply

STEP 1: Submit the Application Form

Choose the application that applies to you.

STEP 2: $35 Non-Refundable Application Fee - NEW APPLICANTS ONLY

STEP 3: Submit Ecclesiastical Endorsement.

STEP 4: Submit Proof of Residency.

  • Not required for BYUH employees or employee spouses. Common acceptable proof of residency are rental agreement, mortgage statement, Hawaii tax statements, etc.

STEP 5: Submit Proof of Degree

  • Submit copy of graduation diploma or final transcript stating degree earned and when.


Application Notes

Once all items have been submitted, your application is considered complete. Admission decisions for NDS applicants are usually available within one week of submitting all items and will be notified via email. NDS students may begin registration one month prior to the first day of school.

Admitted students must complete the TB clearance and MMR 1 and 2 vaccination requirements to avoid any delay in registration.

TB Clearance and MMR 1 and 2 Vaccination

A current tuberculosis clearance (taken within one year) and proof of receiving the MMR 1 and 2 vaccination must be submitted to Health Services (808) 675-3510. A hold will be placed on your student account that will prevent you from registering for classes.

Employees and Employee Dependents

Submit your Tuition Benefits Waiver with Human Resources.

Former Students

Clear any financial holds on your student account to avoid delay in registration. Contact Financial Services for help with financial holds. Contact them at (808) 675-3706 or


Download forms from the Office of the Registrar. Fill it out completely, obtain all required signatures and submit completed form to the Office of the Registrar.

Once you receive your acceptance email, complete the following:


Health Services

(808) 675-3510

Submit current (within 1 year) TB test and MMR1 and MMR2 vaccination

For credit – access your Student Center at myBYUH Student and enroll online

For audit – submit Audit/Independent Study Form to the Office of the Registrars.

Financial Services


Make payment online with your Student Center at myBYUH Student or in person at the Cashier's Office.

Complete the Tuition Benefits Wavier with Human Resources


Application and Registration Schedule

Spring 2021 Application - OPEN

Mon, March 22, 2021 Last day to submit an application and all required items
Sun, March 28, 2021 Class registration begins for non-degree seeking student
Wed, April 28, 2021 Classes begin
Fri, April 30, 2021 Last day to add/drop classes without a fee and signatures
Tue, June 22, 2021 Last day of class instruction

ADD/DROP Classes

Classes may be dropped online via your student account without a penalty through the third day of the semester. After the deadline, a $10.00 fee for each class dropped will be added to your student account.

How to ADD/DROP classes after the deadline

Step 1: Go to Office of the Registrar and ask for ADD/DROP FORM or print it from their website. Fill it out completely.
Step 2: Signatures Required: Instructor and Event Services & Outreach manager.
Step 3: Submit to Office of the Registrar ($10.00 applied to student account if passed deadline).


Discontinuance must be completed prior to the first day of classes to avoid a penalty. Tuition will be charged from the first day of classes to the date the Office of the Registrar receives the official discontinuance notification. Refunds will be calculated based on the day that the COMPLETED withdrawal form is submitted to the Office of the Registrar. A withdrawal fee of $10.00 will be charged to your student account to process the application for early withdrawal.

How to request to withdraw from classes

Step 1 : Go to Office of the Registrar. Ask for Withdrawal form and complete.
Step 2 : Signatures Required: Instructor and Event Services & Outreach manager.
Step 3: Submit to Office of the Registrar. $10.00 fee applied to student account.

Frequently Asked Questions
  • Toggle Item
    When and how do I register for classes?
    Class registration opens one (1) month prior to the first day of each semester (refer to Important Dates). Access your student account online through the Student Center using your BYUHNETID to register for classes. For assistance, visit Academic Advising..
  • Toggle Item
    How do I AUDIT classes?
    The regular application process is required even if auditing classes. Once you are notified of your admission, print, complete and submit an Audit/Independent Study Form to the Office of the Registrar with an indication of "audit" next to the course name.
  • Toggle Item
    Do I need to reapply to the program every time I want to take classes?
    Your account will continue to be active until you skip one (1) or more semesters. After that, you are required to reapply as a "former student". You will need to re-submit a current endorsement if your previous one has expired.
  • Toggle Item
    What is the cost of attendance?
    Information on the cost of attendance can be found at the Financial Aid & Scholarship Office.
  • Toggle Item
    Where do I pay for tuition?
    Tuition may be paid online through your student center at myBYUH Student or directly at the Cashier's Office.
  • Toggle Item
    I am a dependent of a BYU–H employee. How do I apply for the tuition benefits waiver?
    If you are a full-time BYU–H employee or an eligible dependent of an employee, you may apply for the Tuition Benefits Waiver with Human Resources. This must be done at the beginning of every semester you attend.
  • Toggle Item
    How can I get a transcript for the classes I've taken?
    Transcripts are ordered online with the Office of the Registrar.